Friday, April 20, 2012

ALICE IN WONDERLAND BIRTHDAY PARTY BOOK

My brother was turning 50 and we needed to come up with a theme for his party. Being an artist who is always so creative we wanted to come up with something that would impress him. It took time and work to put it all together but was more than worth it. And most of all - it took him by surprise and he totally loved it!! I also made a video of his life and put some Alice in Wonderland stuff in it as well.





Being that the new Alice in Wonderland movie came out around the same time period we decided to mix a combination of old and new Alice! I had always wanted to do an Alice in Wonderland party so this seemed a perfect fit for him.

Hope my pictures will inspire someone else and give you some helpful ideas too! My mom made all the costumes herself! We made all the food and cakes (2) and cupcakes. The hardest part of all was getting it all together in the yard at the last minute. My brother was back and forth at my parent's house and so we couldn't put things out until the day of the party.  There were things hidden all over the house, under the beds, in drawers and closets! And to top it all off, the day of the party it decided to have a pretty good rainstorm, right after we got things up! We had to run and take some things down, cover the table and wait till it passed (which was very close to time for guests), before we could reset and put out the food items! Because of the possibility of rain, we set up two tables - one on the screened enclosed patio and the other in the yard.It just seemed more Wonderland to have one in the yard.  A lot of our paper flowers got wet before we could get them all down ,so in some of the pictures they are kind of droopy! All in all it worked out ,although we were about ready to keel over ourselves!  We planned skits for all the characters and we made  my brother play the part of the Mad Hatter, of course!   My other brother was the March Hare and the two of them together were hysterically funny! I only wish I had gotten more of it on video! I played the Cheshire cat, and other members of the family and friends played the other parts. My mom was the Queen of Hearts since she was hosting the party. The costume she made still amazes me, especially the headpiece. It is made with red yarn. She also managed to make a bunch of hats for the hat shop. Everyone who didn't come in costume, for whatever reason, got to choose a hat to wear. We also made some of the guests into playing cards. Before the end of the party it got dark so we have pictures both in daylight and darkness. Everyone seemed to have a great time!

There are far too many pictures and too many things to post, but I will post quite a few. First I am posting pictures from a keepsake book I made for my brother. After that I will post the actual pictures from the party.

The invitation: Taken from an assortment of ideas I found online, this is what I came up with as the final one. I found these envelopes in the dollar store - a great find and buy! I glued in the saying and attached the sticker hearts. Some ideas for the invitation, as well as other Alice ideas and pictures, I took from Lenny's Alice in Wonderland website. Also, some of the invitation quotes, I took from loraleelewis.com. Check out both websites, they have some great stuff! Invitation reads:  COME GET LOST IN WONDERLAND!  You are invited to a  very merry un-birthday tea party.  Don't be late for a very important date -  (time and place listed) Wear wonderland best or whimsical hat, if you please. Your presence is gift enough.  Don's 50th.  RSVP requested by the Queen of Hearts.  - I also attached a metal charm that says royalty, that I found at Michael's craft store.
.

My brother, standing next to one of his art pieces.  (notice the frog in the right hand corner! pasted in from the new Alice in Wonderland  movie)
My brother, when he was little.  This was the front cover. I made it to look like he was looking down into the rabbit hole instead of Alice.  Title reads "What if it had been Donnie who fell down the rabbit hole" I attached mossy craft grass to the rabbit hole and added the rabbit, then painted the sky area.  On the left hand corner of the book I glued on an old antique key and a miniature tea cup and saucer.
a picture of me when I was young pasted over Alice's face.
This was the inscription inside - There was also another picture of him as a young boy
This was in the beginning of the book.  I used a picture of a mirror and pasted in a picture of the white rabbit. At the top I attached the saying "Begin at the beginning, go until you get to the end, then stop" from Alice in Wonderland. 





I must say - Alice In Wonderland has the greatest quotes!
One of the beginning pages of the book.  Added my brother's name to the title. I cut out pictures of roses and added faces to them.
Pasted my nieces into the Alice's pictures, my brother into the Mad Hatter. Also took a picture of my brother as a teenage holding a cat and next to it pasted a Cheshire cat over top of the original cat.  Quote:  "It would be so nice if something would make sense for a change"

Super imposed my brothers picture in place of the Mad Hatter's and my nieces in place of Alice.

Super imposed my brother's picture, my dad's and my niece's. Taken from Vogue magazine Alice in Wonderland shoot by Annie Leibovitz found on trendland.com

Super imposed my son's and my niece's faces from the Vogue magazine Alice in Wonderland shoot by Annie Leibovitz found on trendland.com

Super imposed a picture of my brother as he is doing a flower arrangement for a wedding.


Pasted on a picture of my son as the knave of hearts from the  new movie. Next to him is a picture of my brother's artwork(the sword and skull on cloth).

Pasted face on Alice of one of my niece's

Faces pasted in of family members.

Pasted in face of my dad

Pasted in face of my niece

Pasted in face of my brother


Just a cute picture I found so added the quote and pasted a 50 in the Mad Hatter's hand and pasted on the birthday cake.

This took some to do but I eventually found faces to cutout of family members and pasted on all of the cards!

Took cutouts of my brother and my son and put them into this picture I found. Then I pasted in cutouts of the Mad Hatter, the Cheshire cat and Alice (on the table top).  Quote says: "Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some - don't ever want to".


In this picture I pasted my brother's face over the Mad Hatter's.


THERE WERE A LOT MORE PICTURES AND QUOTES IN THE BOOK, BUT YOU GET THE IDEA.  IT WAS A NICE KEEPSAKE TO REMEMBER THE PARTY BY. I GAVE IT TO  MY BROTHER AS A GIFT.

I AM GOING TO POST THE ADDITIONAL PICTURES, THE ONES FROM THE ACTUAL PARTY, ON ANOTHER BLOG TOMORROW, SINCE THERE ARE QUITE A FEW MORE PICTURES TO ADD. 


DESIGN A TEACUP thepartyanimal-blog.org  - cute idea to check out if you need a craft idea for a kids AIW party.






No comments:

Post a Comment