Monday, April 30, 2012

SUMMER MEMORIES OF BYGONE DAYS



I was watching some old video footage on youtube of vintage rides from Coney Island in  Cincinnati.  Also, as I was researching some photos from fairs and boardwalks, it brought me back to summer visits, while growing up, on the boardwalk, of Daytona Beach, FL. 

My grandparent's owned a hotel right on the beach of Daytona. We would go there in the summers some.  You could look out of the hotel window from upstairs right down on  the boardwalk. You could watch as the taffy machine would pull taffy to make it into bite sized pieces.  We would go to the bandshell in the evenings and listen to the music or watch the performances there.  We always enjoyed our walk along the boardwalk for it was filled with sights and sounds, smells, and carefree moments. We would sometimes get to take a ride on one or two of the rides that were offered there. 


The old clock tower - Daytona Beach


Daytona Beach Boardwalk

We also enjoyed the beach there. The cars would drive right up on the sand and park there on the beach. You had to drive very slow. The sand was white and there were usually lots of sandbars you could walk out on. We once got our picture taken by the newspaper. It was my sister, my brother in a stroller, and me.  My sister and I were pretending that the stroller had gotten stuck in the white sand and were trying to pull it out.  We are now all in our 50's, and my grandparent's have been gone many years, but the visits are still treasured memories in my mind.

My sister in the front, my brother in the middle, and me in the back.

The soft white sand of Daytona Beach (Postcard) The pier is in the background.  Below is a video clip of old Coney Island in Cincinnati
 

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment